OUR LADY OF THE ROCK

Day 289: February 25

Our Lady of the Rock, Cornuda, Treviso, Italy



On the hill overlooking the town of Cornuda (TV), stands the Sanctuary dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation, which, however, since it is located on the ruins of an ancient fortress, is known as the "Sanctuary of the Madonna di Rocca" (Our Lady of the Rock).

The Piave flows slowly through the valley; Mount Grappa and Montello are the backdrop, making the whole area sacred for religious and historical memories with their names, so dear to the hearts of Italians.

The first news concerning the area dates back to the ninth century. To defend itself from the devastating incursions of the Hungarians who descended from the Urals and brought death and looting to Eastern Europe and Italy, the March of Treviso tried to fortify itself with a series of fortresses placed in dominant and strategic passages. Among the many fortifications there is also the Rock of Cornuda.

A bull of 1245, in which the Parish Church of San Martino in Cornuda is mentioned, tells us that the Rocca (Rock) is a possession of the Bishop of Treviso, then occupied by Ezzelino da Romano, the cruel tyrant who raged in all those areas.

In the first official document concerning the Rock of Cornuda, Pope Gregory IX wrote to Bishop Pietro Pino of Treviso to excommunicate the tyrant Ezzelino, if he refused to return some occupied fortresses, including that of Cornuda.

During the years of Ezzelino's rule, who was believed to be the son of the Devil for his cruelty, the local populations suffered harassment and abuse of all kinds. The prisons of Cornuda become a place of terror and torture; many people, nobles and commoners, were left to die of hunger there. These sad facts feed the imagination of the people affected by such cruelty.

Historical events soon led to the extinction of the Ezzelini family and in 1264 the fortress returned to the hands of the Bishop and then passed to the municipality of Treviso.

When war broke out between the Treviso and the Scaligeri, Can Grande della Scala, with a strong army, advanced as far as the Rocca di Cornuda. Cortesino da Strasso, captain of the Rocca, with 400 soldiers and his ally, Francesco da Muliparte of Maser, tried to stop the advance, but nothing could prevent total defeat.

In 1316 Can Grande had the Rocca destroyed, which was never rebuilt, but left its name to the Sanctuary that stands on the ruins of the Chapel of the Rocca.

A tradition, or a legend, widespread among the people, attributes the origin of the Marian devotion on the Rocca to an apparition of the Virgin on a rocky boulder between whose fissures a centuries-old oak tree is rooted that remains luxuriant until 2008.

Popular devotion led to the construction of a small chapel, dedicated to Our Lady, which followed the fate of the fortress in the various destructions and reconstructions.

The most probable opinion is that the Sanctuary was built by the faithful in thanksgiving to Our Lady for having freed them from the cruel tyranny of the Ezzelini. The founding document of the Rectorate of our Lady of the Rock is given by the will of 1247 of the nobleman Annibale Scala, in which it is said: "Being the master of the Rock with its appurtenances, he wants this place to be left to a priest of good life and fame elected by the Archpriest and Masser of Cornuda who has continuous residence in said place."

A manuscript of 1750 tells of a prodigious event that took place in 1725, reporting the story of the person himself pardoned, then still alive. Mr Pier Francesco Recco narrates that, at the age of 12, together with one of his companions, tried to detach a huge stone that was leaning against it from the wall. The stone began to roll. His partner had time to escape, but Pier Francesco risked being inevitably crushed. He barely had time to cry out: "Mary, Virgin of Rocca, save me!"

The family rushed to that cry and saw what happened, they were stunned by the fright. With great effort they removed the stone, and to their amazement they found the child perfectly unharmed. A votive tablet, hanging on the side of the altar, still represents and testifies to the tragic and moving scene.


St Justin Russolillo Writes...

"As every suffering of Jesus was your suffering, so too every grace, every glory, every child of those sufferings is also your grace, your glory and your child!"

(Justin Russolillo, Spirit of Prayer, trans. Louis Caputo, Vocationist Fathers, Newark, 1996, p. 158)

Comments

Hot Picks

OUR LADY OF MELIAPORE

Marian Year 2025-26

OUR LADY OF DIVINE VOCATIONS